Wednesday, November 7, 2012

This was....

     This was a hard fought campaign and I can't say the best man won the office of the presidency.  I don't know that I could have said it regardless of who won.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this presidential campaign was close, hard-fought and undoubtedly divisive - more so than most of the elections that I remember and I remember quite a few.
      I've never heard a president encourage voters to go out and vote in order to get revenge.  But then, there are a lot of things that presidents have said over the years that I'm sure I missed so this may not be unique to President Obama  - probably isn't.  Still, it's not something to be proud of.
     A ballot is not a weapon or shouldn't be.
     A fetus is not a throw-away rag doll but a living  human being.
     A flawed health care system is not a reason to model ourselves after other systems that are flawed even more than ours.
     And heated comments on FB, either for President Obama or against him, are not a reason to de-friend people in either real or virtual living.  Presidents stick around for, at most, 8 years these days while hopefully friends last a bit longer:)
     I am disappointed in the outcome of the presidential election.
     And I honestly  feel it will not be good for the  nation in the long run - that's why I'm disappointed.
     However, I realize that many good people feel just as strongly that this is a positive thing for the nation.  How can I do anything but hope they are right?
     The  election is over and   Mr. Obama is not just the president, he is my president.
     As such  I have a responsibility to pray for him and to continue to  be the best citizen that I know how to be.   If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then 4 years from now, our country will be better off than it is now.
    If I'm right, then four years from now, we will have the  opportunity to move in a different direction.  Our system is as fair as any that I know of and fairer than most. I don't think I can ask for more than that.
    As in all elections, time, not the voters or even the politicians,  will have the final say.
    And above presidential elections as well as all of time and space, this fact remains:
    In God we trust.
    That is the basis of our nation's origin and that is the basis of this blog.
    In God I trust.
    This is good because in my life time I've been a Democrat, an Independent, and a Republican..:)  So if my life motto had been:  In Politics I Put My Trust, my North Star would have been shifting around quite a bit over the years!   Presidents are interesting, necessary, and sometimes exasperating while  God is eternal, unchanging, and above the melee of politics.  He's the same today as He was yesterday and as He will be tomorrow.
    Above all, He is love.
    So go find someone tomorrow, a friend, who aggravated the heck out of you by their political stance, and love them.  Do something non-political, preferably something that will leave both of you laughing with each other instead of snarling at each other.
    Presidents come and go and none of them have made us into a perfect nation yet...:)
    Friends hopefully stay around longer than presidents.
    And God is around for the forever long haul.
    Trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment